If you know the origin of a Burlington street name, your wisdom is appreciated. Some are obvious topographical references and aren’t worth pursuing (Rocky Hill etc.) And some have obvious historical roots (Winn). It’s the myriad other names that need clarification (Winona, Van Norden etc.). Please email the information to BurlingtonRetro@gmail.com.
Makechnie Rd — Ernst Makechnie, music teacher and blueberry farmer. More here.
Manhattan Dr — Manhattan Builders Inc., which also built homes on Sandy Brook Road, Terrace Hall Avenue, Four Acres Drive, Macon Road and Hilltop Drive.
Manning St — William Manning and descendants, including George E. Manning.
Maple Ridge Dr
Margaret St — Named after St. Margaret Parish when the church was located at the fork of Center and Winn Streets. It moved into its new and improved building near Route 128 in 1958. More here.
Marjorie Rd — Randomly named by Donald Gedick, who built many of the area’s homes.
Marrett Rd — When Burlington was part of Woburn, Rev. John Marrett created the Second Precinct church on Lexington Street near Simonds Park. That church represented a split from the Woburn parish and, ultimately, a split from Woburn itself. Burlington became a separate town in 1799 largely due to Rev. Marrett’s efforts.
Marvin Field — Ernie Marvin and the Marvin Bros. baseball team, one of Burlington’s original little league teams. More here.
Maud Graham Cir — Burlington town clerk from 1935 to 1969.
Maureen Dr — Maureen Murray-Wall, daughter of Thomas Murray, B&T Construction.
Mayflower Ave — Became a public way in 1940.
McCafferty Way — William McCafferty had a large pig and vegetable farm running from Locust Street, behind Cabral’s Farm (now Sparhawk Drive), all the way to the Mill Pond Reservoir. One of his descendants was Edward McCafferty, the town’s police chief in the 1970s.
McCarthy Dr — John H. McCarthy, pig farmer.
McIntire Dr — The McIntires owned many sections of early Burlington.
McNamara Way — The McNamara family owned a chunk of land near the peak of Mountain Road, before Mountain Road was dead-ended. The commercial part became Wall Street.
Michelle Dr — Michelle Graham, part of the Graham family that farmed that section of town before it became a neighborhood.
Middlesex Turnpike — The term “turnpike” implies a toll road, and it was indeed a toll road from 1811 to 1840. The nearest tollbooth to Burlington was just over the Lexington border. The road competed with north/south rail lines and the Middlesex Canal — and lost the battle. People weren’t eager to pay the Turnpike toll.
Middlesex Turnpike Extension
Mildred Rd — The wife of builder Joe Roberto. They lived on Stony Brook Road.
Mill St — Led to several mills including one at the end of Sawmill Road in Burlington. More here.
Morrison Rd — Elmer M. “Sonny” Morrison, a very visible figure in town affairs from the 1940s to 1970s. He married Kathryn Graham, a member of the Graham family of farmers/developers. The family named many area streets including nearby Violet Road. The Morrisons lived at 9 Skelton Road, a short walk from Morrison and Violet.
Moss St — Jack Moss, local attorney, who developed the area. His namesake street connects to Jonathan Road, named after his son. Across Wilmington Road is Harvard Street, named after Harvard University because Jack was educated there.
Mountain View Way
Murray Ave — The Murray family of developers, namesake of Murray Hills Inc. This area used to have a row of chicken coops.