Do not adjust your set. That really is Gino’s, without the Papa part. Gino’s Hamburgers was a fast-food restaurant chain founded in Baltimore, Maryland, by Baltimore Colts defensive end Gino Marchetti and running back Alan Ameche, along with their close friend Louis Fischer, in 1957. In Dundalk, Maryland, just outside Baltimore, it got its official name in 1959 when the owners brought on Colts’ captain Gino Marchetti.
It was an East Coast regional fast food restaurant and had 359 company-owned locations when they were acquired by Marriott Corporation in 1982. Marriott discontinued the brand and converted locations to their Roy Rogers Restaurants chain. The restaurant was known for high quality hamburgers such as the Sirloiner, which was made from sirloin steak, and the Gino Giant, which competed with the Big Mac. The company held the franchise for Kentucky Fried Chicken in the middle-Atlantic states. Source.
Red Robin restaurant, where Town Grocery is now. Color photo credits: Kinda Koutrouba Doherty, an employee (pictured).
Linda Koutrouba Doherty at Red Robin.
Red Robin restaurant Burlington MA 5 — Linda Koutrouba Doherty
Red Robin restaurant Burlington MA 1
Red Robin restaurant Burlington MA 7
Red Robin restaurant Burlington MA 4
Red Robin restaurant Burlington MA 6
Red Robin restaurant Burlington MA 2
Red Robin restaurant Burlington MA 3
Red Robin restaurant Burlington MA 8
Red Robin restaurant Burlington MA 9
Red Robin restaurant Burlington MA 10
Ice Palace grand opening. Or Pallace. Take your pick.
Before Roche Bros. there was a Sears-like store called Service Merchandise and the Royal Hawaiian restaurant. Before those, there was Mammoth Mart.
Maria Matos after winning at TV at LeeWards. Bobby and Billy Matos can barely contain their emotions. Matos was a fixture at Value House and Service Merchandise. Story here.
The ill-fated RentTool building.
Teacher strike, early 70s — when everyone else was striking.
High School faculty picketing early 1970s Burlington, MA 2
High School faculty picketing early 1970s Burlington, MA
The anchor of the new Route 62 plaza.
Billerica Mall grand opening. Not in Burlington, true, but can’t ignore this.
Portable classrooms behind the original Memorial School. Burlington was the first Massachusetts town to use portables. Removed in 1978.
Portable classrooms behind original Memorial School, early 1970s. Burlington was the first Massachusetts town to use portable classrooms. Removed in 1978.
Baldwin Music Center, Middlesex Turnpike:
Baldwin Music Center grand opening
Town Meeting, an elevated hallway off the main Burlington Mall corridor, with slightly sunken stores surrounding it. It was fun.
Fire station 2 on Terrace Hall Ave. built in 1970 and replaced in 2019:
House of Common, 172 Cambridge Street. This address is now the office building containing Burlington Eye Associates. But this was the town’s first drop-in counseling center for, among other things, drug addiction.
Mill Pond Reservoir construction early 1970s
Woburn Registry of Motor Vehicles building. Not in Burlington, but everyone in Burlington went there. And waited there.