If you know the origin of a Burlington street name, your wisdom is appreciated. Some are obvious topographical references and aren’t worth pursuing (Rocky Hill etc.) And some have obvious historical roots (Winn). It’s the myriad other names that need clarification (Winona, Van Norden etc.). Please email the information to BurlingtonRetro@gmail.com.
Saint Marks Rd — A driveway to the church parking lot. More about the church’s origin here.
Saint Marys Rd
Sandra Ave — Sandra MacDonald of Wolfeboro, N.H., daughter of builder Roderick MacDonald.
Sandy Brook Rd
Sears St — Montgomery Sears, operator of the trolley line that ran through Burlington. In 1906, he successfully petitioned the town for a shortcut road from Center Street to Winn Street, so people could quickly get to the trolley stop down the hill. That shortcut bears his name.
Seven Springs Ln
Sewall St — Rev. Samuel Sewall graduated Harvard with honors at age 19 and led Burlington’s congregation after the death of Rev. John Marrett, the minister instrumental in creating Burlington in 1799.
Shady Lane Dr
Sheighla Dr. — Sheighla Wall Shea, granddaughter of Thomas Murray, B&T Construction.
Simonds Park — Marshall Simonds, a member of a very old Woburn/Burlington clan, died without heirs in 1905 and deeded his farm to the town, to be used as a public park.
Skelton Rd — A seminal family of Burlington. Among its members was Walter W. Skelton, the town’s first firefighter.
Skilton Ln — Thomas and Daze Skilton were among the first residents of Burlington when it was incorporated in 1799. The road was originally a dead end at the top of the hill, like adjacent Maryvale Road.
Sleeper Dr. — Attorney Donald Sleeper, insurance broker Gove Sleeper, and many other Sleepers lived nearby on Center Street in what is now Grandview Farm/Marion Tavern.
South Bedford St — Heads toward Bedford via Lexington Street and the Middlesex Turnpike. It was bisected by the Burlington Mall Road in 1968, resulting in two South Bedford Streets. One end was nudged to line up with Stony Brook Road.
Sparhawk Dr — Formerly Cabral’s Farm, but the origin of “sparhawk” is unknown.
Spring Valley Rd
Spruce Hill Rd — Spruce Hill Day Camp, which preceded the neighborhood construction. The camp was run George J. Rupprecht when his family lived in Frothingham Mansion, which is now 3 Theresa Ave. Here’s an advertisement.
Stony Brook Rd
Sullivan St — Planning Board member Walter Sullivan.
Sunset Dr — This was one the first streets built with an organized house numbering system that we take for granted now. The first nine fully-numbered streets: Florence Road, Crawford Road, Sylvester Road, Frances Road, Foster Road, Bradford Road, Luther Road, Alma Road and Sunset Drive.
Sylvester Rd — Antonio Sylvester owned a gas station at the corner of Winn Street and Mountain Road in the 1940s. This was one the first streets built with an organized house numbering system that we take for granted now. The first nine fully-numbered streets: Florence Road, Crawford Road, Sylvester Road, Frances Road, Foster Road, Bradford Road, Luther Road, Alma Road and Sunset Drive.