One mall ain’t enough, so here comes Burlington Mall number two, just four years after the first mall opened, and just a half-mile down the Turnpike, on the Burlington/Lexington border.
- Size: 300,000 square feet
- Number of stores: 25-30
- Parking spaces: 1,500
- Developer: Martin Bernard
- Land owner: Realty Development Corp. of Burlington
- Targeted opening: Summer 1973
In other news from 50 years ago this month —
- Cable TV started with 30 homes in the Winnmere section (that’s the neighborhood near Sammy’s Deli and Morandi’s Barber Shop) and would soon expand under the town’s supplier, Continental Cable Vision.
- A town traffic committee recommended left-turn-only lanes for Bedford Street and Cambridge Street at their junction near the common. Bedford Street has them even now.
- Lightning struck the home of Sal Turco at 267 Cambridge Street and burned it while the family was away on vacation.
- Residents near Winona Road and Rahway complained to the Board of Health about this abandoned house on the corner:
These residents made the local news in June of ’72
And now, a word from our sponsors